Groovin'


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pineapple Salsa

I've had many variants of this salsa. But the best pineapple salsa I ever had was in Mexico made by Guillermo, the best friend to a photographer I know. Guillermo told me he learned how to make this sweet, tangy and spicy salsa while in the Yucatan. God bless you Guillermo for teaching me how to make this. His version is a bit different than mine, he added the juice of several limes. I thought hey that's a lot of acid, and decided to add the zest to get the flavor of the lime and make the salsa less acidic.

I love to make this salsa to go with carnitas or pork tacos. Most of all I love it with fish or shrimp tacos. Its even tasty with just plain tortilla chips and give guacamole a zing when you mix this in with the avocado instead of Pico de Gallo which I'll show how to make in the near future.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 a fresh pineapple chopped into bite sized pieces with juice.
  • 1/2 cup of cilantro chopped or more depending on your tastes.
  • Juice of one lime.
  • Zest if one lime.
  • Small red onion diced.
  • 1/2 to 1 whole jalapeno or 1-2 serrano peppers depending on the desired heat.
  • A good pinch of Kosher salt
Now all you have to do is mix all of this into a bowl and  set aside in the refrigerator.  There you have it. Simple and delish!

 
Pineapple, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno in a bowl

 
I zest my citrus fruit on a micro plain, once you zest the fruit, juice it and add salt to taste.

 
 
Salsa de pina! Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment