Groovin'


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ropa Vieja (Shredded Clothes)


I first had this dish in Miami when I was there for a music conference. I went with a group of friends, and we sat down in this cozy restaurant where the only people who spoke English were my friends and myself. All my friends said that I had to try the Ropa Vieja. Well I did, and I'm glad I did... It was love at first bite.

I've come across several recipes for this popular Cuban dish. I decided that I would post the easiest one that I have. The one recipe that I cherish and I that I received from my friend Javi's Abuelita is an all day affair, and with a rambunctious 4 month old its not going to happen. If you want that recipe, please let me know and I'll send it to you.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 pounds of flank steak, or chuck make sure meat is well marbled
4 tbs olive oil
7 cloves of garlic
1 large onion
1 large bell pepper
3 bay leaves
1/2 tbs ground cumin
pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or 1 1/2 cups of cooking liquid
2 cups water
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
6oz of tomato based sofrito
1/4 cup of Spanish olives sliced (optional)


In a dutch oven with 2 tbs of oil brown meat on both sides.

 Add 2 cups of water, 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves of garlic smashes, 1/4 onion, 1/4 bell pepper. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender. 

 Remove meat and shred with a fork and discard any fat left over. At this point you can reserve 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid if you do not have stock available.

 Dice up the rest of the onion, bell pepper and garlic and add to the dutch oven with 2 tbs of oil. Cook until soft and translucent.

 Add tomato sauce, Chicken stock or cooking liquid, sofrito, 2 bay leaves, cumin and shredded meat. Simmer on low for about 1 hour, leave the pot half covered.

 Add sliced olives at the end if you wish. Serve with white rice, black beans and sweet plantains.
Hope you enjoy this one.
Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment