Groovin'


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Matzo Ball Soup or "Trayf" Matzo Balls the Forbidden Matzo!

I'm not trying to offend anyone, nor are the matzo balls that I make normally Forbidden. You see I've been sick this past week, and my son has had the the sniffles. So we've had a lot of chicken soup. Ever since Husband Person and I have jumped the broom, I've adapted to add the good ol' matzo ball along with the already super yummy bowl of chicken soup.

Now I know you're asking, "How are the matzo balls forbidden?"  Well here's how... Your normal matzo ball contains some sort of fat, whether its chicken fat, or oil. The matzo balls I made today had bacon grease, yeah I said it. Bacon grease! Boy oh boy were theses fluffy, soft, cloud like balls of goodness a hit. You see Husband Person may be Jewish, but the man will kill a hog to get him some bacon.  That ain't no lie either. So Husband Person came up with the name "Antisemitic Matzo Balls" and I learned from my dear friend Marcey (Who happens to be one of the coolest people to ever travel to a developing country with) that they were not in fact antisemitic just "trayf" or forbidden. (Heart you Marcey!)

I can't say that I'll make my matzo balls like this all the time in the future. It just so happened that I started the chicken stock this morning after making breakfast and thats when the light bulb went off. When you're in the mood for your favorite chicken soup, try these cute little morsels to go along with it. How about you make them when someone in your house has a cold or it's a chilly day. I promise you won't need to call your Bubbie for help. Oh, and please for the love of bacon don't use the boxed matzo ball stuff.

Chicken Stock
1 whole chicken cut up
2 parsnips scrubbed (whole)
2 large carrots scrubbed (whole)
2 celery stalks with leaves intact
1 med onion peeled and cut in half (leave the stem part intact)
4 large cloves of garlic
2 large sprigs of thyme, one small sprig of rosemary, 2 bay leaves bundled together

In a large stock pot brown the chicken parts skin side down first. Then add enough water to cover the chicken and let boil on med high for about 1 hour.

Add the remaining ingredients and more water to cover veggies and herbs if needed. Simmer for 2-4 hours. Strain the stock into another pot and allow chicken and veggies to cool. I then shred the chicken and reserve it for the soup.

Matzo Balls
4 eggs beaten
2 tbsp of chicken fat, or oil, or bacon grease (the bacon grease makes it trayf or forbidden)
1 tsp of kosher salt
2 tbsp of chicken stock or water
1 cup of matzo meal
2 tbsp of parsley
1 tsp of granulated garlic

beat eggs and fat, oil, or bacon grease with salt parsley and garlic, add matzo meal and stock. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Here is the trick, if you like dense matzo balls allow them to rest for about 30mins if you like fluffier ones like we do, let the mix rest for 2 hours.

bring a pot of salted water to a boil, drop in one inch size balls gently into the water. I use a small ice cream scoop, it makes them all even and pretty. When forming the balls wet your hands periodically with cold water it makes the whole process easier. When all your balls (I know, I know) are in the water cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat down to a simmer, set your timer to 20mins.

While the matzo balls are cooking I usually chop up the carrots and add them to the bowls along with some of the shredded chicken. At this point I salt my stock to taste and add egg noodles. Some people like them with their matzo ball soup, some don't, to each their own..  When the matzo balls are done I place 2 balls in each bowl (lol) and ladle the noodle soup mixture on top!

See! Warm, yummy,  fluffy, goodness, that will help you feel so much better.

Provecho Kittens!

2 comments:

  1. I have been loving your posts and blogs (it comes as no surprise that everything you do is simply amazing). Logan looks just delicious and mommyhood suits you! A Rabbinic thought about your "kneidelach" (yiddish), they aren't anti-semitic at all! They are "trayf" which immediately makes them oh so appealing to those of the Jewish persuasion. We love bacon so much because we are not supposed to eat it. Forbidden things are always the most desirable!
    xoxo Marcey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcey! I was talking to Edon and he smiled really big when I told him about your comment. He said that "trayf" was a lot better than antisemitic he used that term b/c that was the only term in English he could think of. If only he would have just explained trayf me. :) Anyhow I miss you and hope you and the family are well!

    ReplyDelete