Groovin'


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Knives

So many times have I been at a friend's house and decided to whip something up and BAM there I am faced with a dull knife, with no way to sharpen it. This is huge hazard in the kitchen. With a dull knife you have a better chance of cutting yourself then a with a sharp knife. I like to keep a ceramic knife sharpener in my house, its easy to use and sharpens my knives well. If you don't feel comfortable sharpening your own knives, most butchers will sharpen them for you. All you have to do is wrap them up in a towel and drop them off at the butcher as you do your grocery shopping.

Not only does a dull knife hinder a job in the kitchen, but so does having the wrong knife for the job. For example if I need to peel a apple I need a paring not a huge chef knife. If I want to chop veggies I don't need a paring knife I need a chef or santoku knife. I personally have several knives that I keep in my kitchen, a large chef knife, santoku, cleaver and paring knife.

Now that we've covered knives, we need to work on knife skills. Cutting yourself sucks, trust me I've gotten myself good before. One needs to have decent knife skills and can't be intimidated by holding a knife. Here is tutorial that can help you with basic knife skills if needed Basic Knife Skills Video

Hope this helps! Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mel, you may want to note that knife honing is an easy and necessary task as well. Even a great sharpened knife needs a honing every so often (every other use). Good article, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave you're so right, I hone my knives when I notice I'm not getting as clean of a cut. I'll put up an post about it soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete